Friday, May 26, 2006

Amazon thinks i'm a nerd

In the same way that TIVO is thought by many people to judge and categorise them, i've been finding that Amazon.com recommendation have taken on a spooky, semi-psychic level of accuracy. Today it suggeted Beckett's 'Waiting for Godot' just as i was thinking i should read more Beckett which got me thinking...

Personalization techniques have been adopted by many companies already both on and offline. Some of the ways in which this information is gathered provides fodder for the TodayTonight crew with their sensationalist "they'll spy on you to see if you have a dog and then sell that information to pet-food manufacturers" (of course i think that we should be concerned about civil liberties but i'm not sure whether Big Brother ultimately cares as much about my domestic animal ownership as my political affiliations) but the Amazon method of checking your wishlist/purchases and library for some reason doesn't give me this feeling. Instead i feel flattered when it recommends Bataille, fascinated when it deduces that i will probably enjoy Lacan and warmly amused when it recommends the latest Get Fuzzy compendium.

I have heard that this does not work so well for other people, a good friend received many freakily accurate suggestions of obscure Scandinavian literature before Amazon started recommending powertools. I think it wanted him to branch out. Am looking forward to the day when Amazon realises the disproportionate amount of depressing modernist literature on mine and deduces that i need Prozac. Or perhaps some form of weaponry.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, remember, we worked this out. What with all the female Scandinavian singer-songwriters and obsucre literature, Amazon.co.uk thinks I'm a lesbian and powertools are obviously the next logical steps.

Perhaps Amazon has tapped into my subconscious desire to butch it up. All I can say is: Long Weekend + Manacle + German pants. Es ist die Zukunft mein Schatz.

And my blog has changed address. It should be this mkay?

xx.

weasel said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
weasel said...

I had to delete my last post as i misspelt something and feared eurovladd wrath.

Anyway, it's funny you mention weaponry... I always get recommendations of swiss army knives and CDs related to American Idol. I wonder which I could do the most damage with?

Claudia said...

I've always held that weapons don't kill people but Delta Goodrem does.. I think American Idol far more lethal than an army knife from an army of nail filing alcoholics.

Perhaps a spelling police truce is in order?

Anonymous said...

The only thing I've ever used my swiss army knife for is cutting open mangosteens.