Sunday, August 13, 2006

I'm not much of a joiner.


The time has come to join in.
Weekly meetings and so forth.

The GLRL lost me on the whole push towards relationship recognition when there are so many singles who arguably have it tougher. Uni lost me when i graduated. Impromptu activism became a little tricky with full time work and masters.

Weasel and i have talked this one over for some time and the Greens were looking like the likely lasses however my certainty levels are suffering a little and i must ponder it some more.


Greens

Pros
Politically rather close to where i'm at (or would like to be at)
Little chance of getting in office and therefore ability to remain idealistic/the conscience of parliament
Maybe important one day for BOP/swing
Membership for concession = 8$

Cons
Some dodgy deals in the past
Hippies (yes, this does actually bother me)


ALP

Pros
Relatively politically powerful
Organised
Less likelihood of hippies
If age brings a little conservatism will still probably fit in the ALP

Cons
Some well dodgy deals/policies incl. uranium, anti gay marriage, anti USU
Joining fee = 10$ concession + 20$ annual membership


Other options:

One Nation

Pros
No known dress code

Cons
Everything Else


The Australian Democrats

Pros
A party which endorses double-barreled surnames
Sounds like an American party

Cons
Excessive use of yellow, orange and green
Irrelevant

It seems too painfully humorous to suggest the Liberals. What's a girl to do?

4 comments:

weasel said...

You're contemplating the Labor party???

Oh dear. There are so many things I could say about that, but none that I will in the public domain.

Claudia said...

I'm just not the worlds greatest fan of dreadlocks.

Does this mean you won't be my friend if i join thge ALP? I hear reform is very "in" this season...

weasel said...

Of course not... but you've been so steadfast so long... it would be a sad loss.

I understand about dreadlocks (I am in favour of a ban), but the last greens meeting I went to was completely sans dreadlocks... the NSW greens are the 'red greens' apparently.

Claudia said...

Oooh, red? I think i could work that. And i'm not lost yet..